- Connie Yowell, CEO of LRNG (@Connie)
School is out for summer and LRNG has kicked into high gear. Thanks to our 12 LRNG Cities and a growing list of local and national partners and supporters, thousands of young people across the country are connecting to engaging and exciting learning and workforce development opportunities in their communities and online.
As we build out our learning ecosystem, it is wonderful to witness how enthusiastically mayors, educators, organizations and corporations have embraced and enhanced the LRNG vision for redesigning learning for the connected age. Young people nationwide will have new opportunities this summer to pursue their passions and develop high demand workplace competencies and skills through online learning as well as through workshops, Turn Up events and summer jobs programs in our LRNG Cities.
It’s been a busy quarter. During the three months since our last newsletter, LRNG has:
- Rolled out the first of many planned national Playlists co-designed by LRNG learning scientists in partnership with organizations and corporations. LRNG has created a portfolio of job readiness Playlists and badges that will enable youth to connect their passions to purpose. Current Playlists include: The Business by Gap, Inc.; Know Your Power, Know Your Employer’s Power and My Power Plan, all designed in collaboration with D.C. and Chicago workforce leaders; Young Money, designed in collaboration with WE; and Be Payday Ready, designed in collaboration with LRNG Chicago.
- Launched the LRNG tech platform and tools — including local Playlist, XP and Badge builders — that allow LRNG Cities to curate and connect learning opportunities that leverage local talent and resources. Cities have created dozens of local Playlists that offer young people innovative opportunities to try out new interests or develop skills in everything from coding to historical maps to internships at city hall. These opportunities are discoverable on each LRNG City’s customized web page.
- Celebrated the announcement of CivilizationEDU, the newest title from LRNG’s GlassLab. CivEDU, which will be available to classrooms throughout North America in early 2017, adds an assessment and analytics engine to the popular strategy game, allowing educators to track and assess players’ 21st century thinking skills in real time.
- Showcased LRNG to a national audience. High-profile events included the ASU GSV conference in April, where LRNG Pittsburgh shared their work with an audience of 2,500 entrepreneurs, business leaders, educators, policymakers, philanthropists, and university and district leaders; as well as a productive working session for the LRNG Cities at the Urban Institute. These meetings and presentations helped build momentum toward additional expansion of the ecosystem.
Of course, one of the most exciting developments was the resolution passed just this week by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, which encourages cities nationwide to use LRNG’s digital badging framework and to act as the “facilitators and curators of digital badges in order to create meaningful digital credentials that are recognized by employers and municipalities across the United States.” This is a huge affirmation of our work that will serve to accelerate our ability to scale up quickly and create opportunity for young people who have been locked out of more traditional paths to success.
As we dive into the summer ahead, I want to thank all who have joined with us to make the LRNG movement possible. From our leaders and educators in LRNG Cities to our generous corporate and nonprofit partners, together we are redefining and redesigning learning. Together we are delivering opportunity to all youth, so every young person can find fulfill their talents and pursue their dreams. #WeAreLRNG← Back Home